• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Macha

Macha

Whippet Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

Keeva is a transliteration of an Irish girl's name Caoimhe which comes from a Gaelic word for gentle and kind. Keeva got her name because her quiet, adaptable nature was clear right from the start of her rescue journey. She was rescued from Derry City Council pound in Northern Ireland and sent to Glencarraig Dog Rescue in Dublin.

Keeva is small for a greyhound, just about 24 in. to the shoulder, and we were surprised to find she had an ear tattoo. She turned 5 in Feb. She never raced but spent most of her life in kennels as a companion to another greyhound. She is now used to living in a house. She is a friendly dog and great with children. She is also a good traveller in the car. Although Keeva is good with other dogs generally, her present carer says that Keeva would be best with a male dog for company as she tends to be bossy with another female. She probably should have another dog in the household as she doesnt like being left completely on her own.

Here is a link with a photo of Keeva: http://www.blackbeau...ails.php?a=1333
I can vouch for what the blurb says about her soft velvety coat

You can find more on the Glencarraig facebook pages

She could go to Britain if there is suitable rescue backup and homecheck

#2 jayne

jayne

Whippet Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

Aww how lovely n likening the name
I've cross posted , hope she find s home soon

#3 moonlake

moonlake

Whippet Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

So what was the response from the people linked to the tattoo?

Gay
www.moonlake.co.uk

#4 Cathie

Cathie

Wise Whippet

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Aww....she is gorgeous. I hope someone wants her soon.

#5 jools

jools

Whippet Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

View Postmoonlake, on 21 March 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

So what was the response from the people linked to the tattoo?

Gay
www.moonlake.co.uk

They probably didn't waste their time contacting them Gaye, they just aren't interested once they no longer have any use. There are so many Greys in pounds all over the British Isle that no-one has time to waste chasing owners who will just say that they sold them on. Greys have the saddest lives of any dog I know.

#6 Macha

Macha

Whippet Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

"Moonlake" asked about the tattoo. I dont think the dog wardens did anything re tracing the tattoo, if they noticed it at all. We all thought Caoimhe was a lurcher. Julie at Glencarraig phoned the breeder, traced from the tattoo number. He is in Derry and he was reportedly quite disgusted to hear the dog was in the pound and not reclaimed (she was there for 12 days). He said that he had kept Caoimhe for most of her life and had quite recently given her away to a friend of a friend who wanted a greyhound. She hadnt raced because of a injury when young (you can see the scar on her leg but it doesnt seem to affect her) so he just let her keep another greyhound company. He said he wouldnt give a dog away again and he would contact rescue if he had a greyhound to rehome. Sounds dodgy to me, but Julie said she talked a good while with the man and thought he was genuine.

This is just a guess, but the person who had Caoimhe for the short time before she was found as a stray may hunt with dogs and therefore was afraid of getting in trouble. Or maybe she wasnt a good hunter so he didnt want her. Or maybe he just didnt want to pay to bail her out of the pound. You'd think he would have at least contacted her breeder in case she had found her way back to her previous home!

#7 moonlake

moonlake

Whippet Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostMacha, on 22 March 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

"Moonlake" asked about the tattoo. I dont think the dog wardens did anything re tracing the tattoo, if they noticed it at all. We all thought Caoimhe was a lurcher. Julie at Glencarraig phoned the breeder, traced from the tattoo number. He is in Derry and he was reportedly quite disgusted to hear the dog was in the pound and not reclaimed (she was there for 12 days). He said that he had kept Caoimhe for most of her life and had quite recently given her away to a friend of a friend who wanted a greyhound. She hadnt raced because of a injury when young (you can see the scar on her leg but it doesnt seem to affect her) so he just let her keep another greyhound company. He said he wouldnt give a dog away again and he would contact rescue if he had a greyhound to rehome. Sounds dodgy to me, but Julie said she talked a good while with the man and thought he was genuine.

This is just a guess, but the person who had Caoimhe for the short time before she was found as a stray may hunt with dogs and therefore was afraid of getting in trouble. Or maybe she wasnt a good hunter so he didnt want her. Or maybe he just didnt want to pay to bail her out of the pound. You'd think he would have at least contacted her breeder in case she had found her way back to her previous home!

That sounds likely.  As an ex-breeder of greyhounds I would be furious if a rescue rehomed a dog I had bred without contacting me.  In 2005 I did everything I could to make sure that all mine were safely homed - the whippets made it quite clear that they were not welcome here (had to take one to America) but people's circumstances do change and sometimes they don't like to admit that they are no longer able to keep a dog and don't keep their promise to contact you if that happens.   I think the assumption that everyone who has bred/owned greyhounds is not to be believed is despicable.  At least give them the benefit of the doubt and let them help if they will instead of taking the holier than thou stance that most rescues adopt.  Rescues can make mistakes about homes, too.

Gay
www.moonlake.co.uk

#8 jools

jools

Whippet Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

View Postmoonlake, on 23 March 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

View PostMacha, on 22 March 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

That sounds likely.  As an ex-breeder of greyhounds I would be furious if a rescue rehomed a dog I had bred without contacting me.  In 2005 I did everything I could to make sure that all mine were safely homed - the whippets made it quite clear that they were not welcome here (had to take one to America) but people's circumstances do change and sometimes they don't like to admit that they are no longer able to keep a dog and don't keep their promise to contact you if that happens.   I think the assumption that everyone who has bred/owned greyhounds is not to be believed is despicable.  At least give them the benefit of the doubt and let them help if they will instead of taking the holier than thou stance that most rescues adopt.  Rescues can make mistakes about homes, too.

Gay
www.moonlake.co.uk

I wasn't talking about all Grey breeders Gaye, many are caring owners who make sure their dogs are well cared for all their lives - but sadly there is an element in the racing industry that don't give a damn about the dogs once they are no longer any use. Tattoos don't seem to make any difference in those cases, the racing industry is self regulated and close ranks at the slightest thing.

#9 Macha

Macha

Whippet Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

Caoimhe aka Keeva was eventually adopted in Germany; I think the Irish Greyhound Board assisted Glencarraig with the transfer and the adopter did phone the rescue but they had problems speaking in English over the phone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name