• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HannahHunter

HannahHunter

Whippet Whelp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

Hi, I have a 10 week old male puppy and he is biting all the time and it's sore. We are firm with him and say no and try and ignore him but it's not getting any better. Any helpful tips?

#2 moonlake

moonlake

Whippet Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

View PostHannahHunter, on 29 March 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

Hi, I have a 10 week old male puppy and he is biting all the time and it's sore. We are firm with him and say no and try and ignore him but it's not getting any better. Any helpful tips?

As you have discovered, saying no or ignoring him doesn't work!  What you have to do is teach an alternative behaviour - like looking at your face.  Get his attention by dropping a few treats on the ground.  When he is facing you, have some treats in one hand and move the other hand slightly towards him but don't touch him and if he doesn't grab your hand or move his mouth near it, say good or whatever approval word you use in training and give him a treat.  He probably will move his mouth towards your hand, in which case start again with a smaller hand movement (easiest if you have both your hands in front of you at waist level). If you can move your hand slightly and the puppy is still watching your face (I am assuming you have taught the basic, "look at me" command), reward.  Keep repeating until you can reach your hand towards him without him grabbing it, saying good and giving a treat every time he stays looking at you rather than your hand.  Train this twice a day for several days.  When it works every time, progress to reaching out and touching him until you can touch him all over without him grabbing your hand.  every time he fails, go back a step.

It takes time but so does all training :)  Good luck!

#3 shelley

shelley

Whippet

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

Mine were the same when they were babies. Whenever they bi me I would shriek loud in pain and they soon learnt bite inhibition.
Good luck

#4 MollyMoo

MollyMoo

Whippet Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

Typical puppy but yeah it hurts. with my lot i removed my hands/arms from mouth saying NO and then gave them something they could chew. toy/cardboard etc and then praising them when they chewed on this.  you may have to repeat this quite a few goes on the first attempt until they get the message. if it gets really bad, id put them on the floor with what they are allowed to chew, removing your limbs from temptation.

At 10 weeks old im sure the puppy teeth are still settling down, also like human children they are xploring everything and feeling textures, where a child would pick it up and put it in their mouths, pups just grab with the mouth. It is unwanted behaviour, but its not bad behaviour. They dont have fingers to feel things so must use their mouths.

Good Luck.... and any photos of the little one??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 Your Company Name